MAP-21 addresses multiple issues. Although there is general relief that something has been passed, not everyone is happy with the result. For summaries and perspectives, try the following:
- Easy-to-digest summary posted by a Washington, DC blogger
- Cheat Sheet part 1 & part 2 and MAP-21 Learning Center supplied by Transportation Issues Daily (TID)
- US Department of Transportation MAP-21 web portal
- Quotes from Congressional leaders (TID) about the compromise
- Joint Explanatory Statement from Congress describing the final bill negotiations
- Chart comparing final Conference Report version to original Senate and House versions (Politico)
- Congressional Budget Office (CBO) cost estimate
- The Secretary of Transportation says that "this is a good bill that will create jobs, strengthen our transportation system, and grow our economy"
- National Journal asks transportation experts whether it's "an early Christmas present or a lump of coal"
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy suggests the bill is "a step back"
- Transportation for America says it's "a clear step backwards"
More opinions and perspectives are bound to be issued in the coming days, weeks, and months as the details of the package are poured over and the implications are put into play once signed by President Obama.
What's your take?